Monday, November 8, 2010

Quilted Cupcake Episode 38 Show Notes: Playful Projects


Scandinavian Stitches: 21 Playful Projects with Seasonal Flair (Stash Books)

What a fun book by one of my favorite designers, Kajsa Wikman (aka Syko Designs) - see link in nav bar above for more details. 

Here are the Yule Houses I made from the book:


Thrift store find - could this be Pottery Barn?  It's very well made.  I love the little drawers with the vintage-looking glass handles.


My wrap in progress - adapted from Countess Bathory Scarf pattern in Vampire Knits: Projects to Keep You Knitting from Twilight to Dawn

World's cutest stitch marker - made from Hobby Lobby charm find.

Here are the curtains I refashioned from thrifted curtains (I felt very Scarlet O'Hara-ish during this project!)



Here are some of the hats I've made for Carewear.org - how sweet are those preemie Ravens' purple hats?


Other links from this episode:

Sign up for Seamedup.com's mailing list for UPdates on the cool new modern crafting site that will launch by the end of the year.

Hip to Be a Square Podcast by Pam, who's on Twitter as Pantsfreesia - love her!

A Stitch in Lime's Wedding Tree Project

Craft Gossip - sign up for the daily newsletter!

And, finally, here's a photo of the amazing Dale Chihuly sculpture at the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas:


Here it is, close up - it's said to be worth at least $3 million, probably much more. Fascinating stuff, I had a hard time walking away from it!





8 comments:

Pam said...

You like me! You really like me!

I think the link is messed up for my site/podcast tho. :( (www.hiptobeasquarepodcast.com)

I, too, have had many Scarlett O'Hara/Sound of Music moments while sewing from thrifted items. Like the time I ended up with 10 yards of small floral print fabric, and I contemplated making matching clothes for EVERYONE in my family. Including the boys.

Quilted Cupcake said...

Thanks, Pam. I updated the link.

Robyn said...

I love marching bands too!
And, I'm embarrassed to say, I've never been to the Dale Chihuly museum, and it's right here in my town (I'm hanging my head)...but you hae inspired me to get there soon...I love his work, just have never seen a bunch of it in one place!

Mama Pea said...

Love that Pottery Barn cabinet! (If that's what it is.) Good find! The book looks awesome, too!

Mistress Forest said...

Saw this cupcake pattern and thought of you!

http://hipfabric.com/item_217/Portabellopixie-Sewing-Pattern--Cupcake-Pincushion.htm

Cassandra said...

I love the curtains! What a cool idea!

Niki said...

1. cute, cute yule houses
2. Ravens hats for the premies made me squeal with glee
3. Chihuly glass makes me weak in the knees with its beauty

Thanks for sharing.

Nonnie Quilting Dreams said...

http://nonniequiltingdreams.wordpress.com/

I saw many of Dale Chihuly glass sculptures at the Miejer's Gardens in Grand Rapid MI. I posted pictures on my blog. (Sept posts) I loved them.

For your drapes have you tried the new large size grommets??? They are shown in the stores and I really like the way the drapes hang. I have now been seeing the grommets for sale at JoAnn's. I have some older drapes I want to refurbish and use. Do not disparge the pleats in the old drapes they gave the yardage need to hang nicely. Sewing those darts helped put me through college as my mom made drapes and I helped.