Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Iced Coffee Recipe with a Twist

I found this great iced coffee recipe on Pinterest, via Pioneer Woman. I changed a few things, and wanted to share with the other java junkies out there.

First of all, I did a smaller amount, 3 quarts of water plus 6 ounces of coffee. I didn't use expensive stuff, but did use Dark Roast coffee. I can't store 2 gallons of coffee in my fridge. Besides, even I don't drink that much coffee!

My trusty coffee cone really helped with the process. I tried the paper towels in the metal strainer as Ree recommended, but it made a big mess for me. So, I strained the steeped brew through a regular cone filter in my ceramic cone, placed inside the metal strainer.   

So much easier and neater! I did use about 4 filters this way, but ended up with 2.5 quarts of primo iced coffee juice.  And, I didn't have to fiddle with pushing the coffee through the strainer.  Gravity in this case was my friend.

Has anyone else tried this recipe?


7 comments:

And this would be . . . . said...

I am going to check out the recipe right now. I do make iced coffee at home for my hubby. Okay, I just a quart mason jar and add half a cup to a cup of grinds then fill the rest with water. Let sit overnight or long and strain. Hubby can generally get about 3-4 cups of iced coffee out of it.

Miss Val's Creations said...

I would like to try this! Cold iced coffee is such a relief on a hot, humid day! ~Val

Amy said...

I was planning to make it this week but on a smaller scale, so I'll use your proportions and your filter set up. I loved her idea to used sweetened condensed milk, that creaminess was something that was always missing. Yum yum.

Dawn said...

Thanks for pointing this out! I'm going to try and make a batch this weekend. It will save so much time in the morning to have the coffee ready to pour!

Amanda said...

I did give this a try today! I love coffee, so had to see how it worked. It was pretty tasty! I might have to do it more often.

That is the niftiest coffee cone thing, by the by. I've never seen one like it.

Kathy said...

Jean, thanks for posting that. I am so going to get everything tonight for some icy cold coffee for the rest of the summer. I bought the Iced Coffee for my Kerig machine. It was just okay. Not anything special to justify the price, and you know how frugal I am. I'm going for the gusto. Looks yummy.

LisaAnn said...

LOL, I do this too and am partial to the condensed milk version. Still using the coffee cone I got at Macy's NYC when I was a nanny in 1986!