Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Product Review: Olfa Scissors

I recently received a great pair of scissors to review from Olfa. The scissors are officially called the 5" Olfa Precision Applique Scissors.  There's a lot to like about these babies.  First off, they're super sharp, with great tips to really get into small places.  I like the size, too.  Not so small that I lose them all the time, but not so big that they're in my way.  The holes for your fingers are a good size, too.  Allows for lots of control.


The picture on the package shows another advantage - the blades continue up into the handles, making the scissors feel much more secure when you use them.  No wobbly handles.

Although they're designed for applique, I found that they work just as well in my studio whenever I need a sharp pair of scissors.  For example, I've been making these little pod cases.  After you sew around the circle, it helps the case to lay flat after turning if you first use pinking shears on the edge, and then go back and clip the little "valleys" between the mountains.  I know most of my other scissors wouldn't have been able to do that precision cut.
They're a great choice for really getting into the spots you need with accuracy.  

The only drawback I can see is that they are a bit spendy at $24.99 MSRP; however, they are a quality cutting tool.  And, you can probably find them at Joann's or Hobby Lobby and use a coupon.

I've asked the manufacturer for a pair to give away to blog readers, too.  I'll let you know if that happens.


Note to readers:  although I did receive these scissors free from the manufacturer, the opinion in this blog post  is my true and accurate review.  Whenever I review a product, I promise to give you the straight scoop.  If I don't like something about a product, I'll let you know, whether I bought the product or not.  Just so you know.

3 comments:

Cal said...

Small good scissors are very helpful, I agree!

drMolly, the BeanQueen said...

Hmmmmmmmmmmm looking good & one could use the 50% off coupon to good advantage!

Erzebat said...

I have become a stalk...err...follower!love to have those scissors! (mauh) Liz