Friday, June 29, 2012

Ikea Trash Can Doodle Tutorial

I love these FNISS trash bins from Ikea.  I have several, and they stack.  So, when I have my buddies over to craft, I can give each person their own.  At $1.99, they're a bargain.  However, they're sort of boring, so I decided to make it cute.


I'm by no means a graphic artist, but I can doodle, and so can you!  I used chalk markers (see photo below), so any mistakes could easily be erased.  I drew on words and images that are special to me - my Janome machine, a robot, flowers, hearts, and of course, cupcakes.  Added a few sayings, and it was all done!



You could do these for any theme you can imagine.  They'd be great craft projects for kids, too.  Maybe even as a craft to do at a birthday party.  They come in different colors, too.  My Ikea had red and black, too.

Here's a pic of the markers I used.  They're at Amazon, but I'm pretty sure I found them at Michael's or Joann, but neither have them on their website.  These are the type of markers they use on the boards at Starbucks.


Give it a try - it's not about perfect artwork, it's about fun.  


3 comments:

Linda said...

That is a great idea! I'm always looking for things like this to do. I have a feeling that if an IKEA were anywhere near me, I would be spending a lot of time there. I think my grandkids would love decorating a trashcan for their rooms! Thank you!

Niki said...

Super fun.

Kati from Kati's Quilting said...

Jean, I love your idea of the trashcan decor. My favorite is the "it's cupcake o'clock" I think that's hilarious!!