Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Make a Skirt from an Existing Skirt

I love wearing skirts in the summer.  I've purchased most of them at thrift shops, and wanted to make my own.   I've purchased a bunch of patterns in the past, and never opened them.  Turns out I'm better off figuring it out on my own.

When I found a very simple skirt at the thrift store that I liked, I decided to try my hand at making my own.  I'm very happy with the result.  I've made 4 now, and I'll probably make more.  This first one is made from a thrift store sheet.

 

The best part of the skirt (and I think what made it easier) was that the skirt is lined in a way that encloses the elastic.  Not having to make a casing was an advantage to me.  Also makes the skirt super comfy.  You basically make 2 skirts, join them at the waist and sew a casing an inch below and slip in the elastic.  I like using broadcloth for the lining.

  

So, following this tutorial, I laid out my original skirt and traced it onto brown kraft paper to make my pattern.  I marked the side that goes on the fold.


Making the pattern almost takes longer than making the skirts.  If you want to try this idea, I'd recommend finding a pretty simple design.  I'd guess that zippers and darts would have made this much more challenging.

Here are some other fun skirt tutorials that I found that may be helpful:

Makeit-Loveit elastic band skirt

Easy Peasy skirt by Everything Etsy

Any questions, please let me know.  I couldn't find the exact tutorial that I used (man, I hate when that happens!!)

1 comment:

cgwehrman said...

They are super cute skirts!