Tuesday, October 11, 2011

My Vintage Tiara

Every girl wants a Tiara, and I finally got one.  Ha!  It's the model name on my new American Tourister Vintage Train Case.  Found at Goodwill for $6.  I would have preferred a prettier outside color, but the inside of this makes up for the plain outside.


The inside is in perfect shape - it even still had a bar of hotel soap from the Williamsburg Lodge in it. And, I love the removable tray.

I so wish the vintage goodies came with a back story.  Since they don't, I usually make up my own in my head.  I imagine a sweet young lady used this when she traveled to Williamsburg with her new husband.  Maybe the case was even part of a wedding gift of luggage.  Soon after the trip, they started a family, so she didn't get a chance to travel as much, which is why it's in such great shape. Can you think of a better story?  If so, please share in the comments.



I'm using it as my travel sewing case.  It's so much easier to keep a case of the essentials (rotary cutter, pins, machine needles, bobbins, etc.) packed and ready to go to craft events, classes, get-togethers, etc.  I find that having this essentials bag always packed makes me more likely to attend out-of-studio events, and have the things I need when I get there.
I've had great luck at thrift stores lately.  Check back for more finds soon.  I'm thinking of starting "Thrifty Thursdays" here on the blog. What do you think?


4 comments:

Cal said...

Fantastic find, love it!

Linda said...

What a great find and I love your story!
An alternate story is that is was a graduation gift (common then) to a sweet young girl who used it to go off to college. She got her MRS. there and stuck around, too busy with family to travel with such a small case. She then needed larger cases to hold diapers, etc.

Landlocked Shores said...

Ohhhh...she is pretty!

Debby, crowefan0517 said...

What a great find! It looks perfect.

-debby,
Chester, NY