Sunday, June 30, 2013

Pink Globe

Maps and globes have been very intriguing to me lately.  I've done a few map projects, and wanted to share one of my favorites - yep, a pink globe!  I've seen several floating around Pinterest and Etsy, but I wanted to make my own.  I found an old globe at a thrift store for $4, so I decided to give it a try.



My funky pink globe started out looking like this:


I spray painted the metal base and plastic stand with my favorite brushed nickel.  I used my Cricut to create a mask of letters - spelling out "explore".  It was easy to feed black vinyl Contact paper through the Cricut.

After adhering the letters, I painted the whole globe pink.  Then, I added white accents with a natural sponge.  I added "always" in my own handwriting.  It's not perfect, but I like it.

Here are some other views of the final project:

And, finally, my inspiration sources:

This one by Aestheitic Outburst










A pink globe (not sure of the source)
A word-filled globe by Shutterlovely

You can find more on my Globe & Map Ideas board on Pinterest.

5 comments:

SewingKaren22 said...

Cool project...super cute!!!

Nadia (WithGlitteringEyes.blogspot.com) said...

This is just fabulous! Love this funky style-- too much fun!

Niki said...

GREAT!

cdm317 said...

This is a great idea!

Jossie Posie said...

wow this is awsome! I am looking for a ink globe and am thinking of painting one pink.......... yours looks fab!